How do I know if I am a transfer student?
You are a "transfer student" if you are thinking about a career which requires a bachelor's degree, and you wish to begin your studies at a community college or tribal college and then transfer to a university to complete higher level courses for a bachelor's degree. To find out if your career requires a bachelor's degree, see a high school counselor or a community college academic advisor.

I'm undecided about a major and university, can I still get started?
Yes! Many students find their careers by taking "general education" courses first. General education includes a wide range of traditional knowledge and skills and is part of community college transfer programs and university bachelor’s degrees. The community colleges and tribal colleges in Arizona have developed a package of these traditional courses called an "AGEC:" the Arizona General Education Curriculum.

Should I complete an associate’s degree before transferring to a university?
It depends on the career or major you are thinking about. For some programs you are advised to complete one of the AGECs, then transfer to a university. For other programs, completing an associate’s degree is beneficial. In all cases, the best advice is to speak with an academic advisor or counselor about the details of the major you have in mind.

I am a high school student. What information do I need?
If you are a High School student who plans to start at a community college and finish at a University, you should know about the Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) degree. There are three transfer degree programs which include the AGEC: the Associate of Arts degree (AA) which includes the AGEC-A, the Associate of Business degree (ABus) which includes the AGEC-B, and the Associate of Science degree (AS) which includes the AGEC-S. Be sure to visit the High School Portal to learn more about Dual Enrollment and how your exam credit will transfer!

Do I need to take a foreign language as part of my major?
It depends on your major and university. The first place to check is the Major Guides which list several kinds of information, including how many semesters of second language proficiency are required. If you do not find your particular major in the Major Guides, then consult the Degrees and Pathways list. It is always an excellent idea to meet with an academic advisor or counselor to be sure.

I am an AAS student or graduate - what are my options?
Students who complete an AAS (Associate of Applied Science) degree from a regionally accredited U.S. postsecondary educational institution are eligible to pursue a BAS (Bachelor of Applied Science) program at an Arizona public university offering the degree. Generally, a student who has completed an AAS degree will receive at least 60 credit hours applied toward the BAS degree. Students should explore the range of BAS concentrations/specializations available and the admission criteria at each university to identify programs compatible with their AAS degrees. The BAS is designed specifically for students who have completed AAS degrees. Students admitted to the university having completed other types of Associate degrees may be admitted to the BAS program at the discretion of the admitting institution, pending an evaluation of the degree curriculum in relation to BAS requirements. Learn more.
Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC)

What is an AGEC?
Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) is a 35 semester-credit lower division general education curriculum block that fulfills the lower division general education requirements at ASU, NAU or U of A. The courses in an AGEC are similar to the areas required for a high school diploma or a GED [General Education Development]: (1) English Composition,(2) Mathematics, (3) Arts and Humanities,(4) Social and Behavioral Sciences, and (5) Physical and Biological Sciences. Many community colleges and tribal colleges also include a sixth area which contains such courses as speech, foreign languages, and computer science.

Are there different kinds of AGECs?
Yes. There are three AGECs which correspond to the careers you are thinking about. If you are considering art, music, or theatre, or the humanities (such as literature or philosophy), or the social and behavioral sciences (such as history, political science, psychology, or sociology), then you should think about completing an AGEC-A (Arts). If you are thinking about a business career, then the AGEC-B (Business) is the place to begin. If you are considering a career in the sciences (such as biology, physics, chemistry, geology, or pre-med), then start with the AGEC-S (Sciences).

Is the AGEC a transfer degree?
No. The AGEC is only one component of the transfer programs at community colleges and tribal colleges. There are three transfer degree programs which include the AGECs and whose names correspond to the different kinds of AGECs: the Associate of Arts degree (AA) which includes the AGEC-A, the Associate of Business degree (ABus) which includes the AGEC-B, and the Associate of Science degree (AS) which includes the AGEC-S.

How many credits are there in an AGEC and associate's degree, and how many credits transfer?
The AGEC-A and AGEC-B are 35 credits; the AGEC-S, because it allows for additional math and science credits, can range from 35 to 38 credits. The three transfer degrees (AA, ABus, and AS) typically are 64 credits; that number includes an AGEC, major courses, and elective courses. The universities will generally accept up to 64 credits (semester hours) from the community and tribal colleges. This does not include remedial or developmental coursework.

Are there some majors that don't accept the AGEC?
If you successfully complete one of the AGECs at your community or tribal college, your admission to any Arizona public university is guaranteed, and your lower-division general education requirements will be satisfied. However, there are some majors for which it doesn't make sense to do all your lower-division general education requirements in the first two years. These majors often have so many course prerequisites, and course sequencing requirements at the lower division that you really need to start working on the major within your first year. You should work with your advisor to find the best ways to meet your transfer goals.

What is the Shared Unique Number (SUN) System?
The SUN System is a college course numbering system designed to help Arizona students plan their education and ensure successful transfer of course credits. The SUN System is a special bank of courses with direct equivalency at each Arizona public college or university offering the course. To learn more about the SUN System and find SUN courses, click here, or check the SUN FAQ page for additional details.